Sunday September 21, 2014
| Last update: Wednesday at 8:28 PM

House to deal with Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC)

March 11, 2014

Washington, DC - In a surprise move, Representative Brad Schneider (D-IL) announced here today, March 11, that he would undertake a rarely used procedure in an attempt to force a House vote on Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC). According to a press statement, Schneider will file a discharge petition on March 12, which would force a vote on benefits for the long-term jobless if a majority of House members sign it.

This will be an uphill battle. The House of Representative has 232 Republicans and 199 Democrats. When the Democratic leadership in Congress failed to insist on placing Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) in the December 2013 budget accord, they effectively gave Republicans veto power over measures to extend unemployment benefits.

Republicans, who often blame high unemployment rates on the unemployed, are in general hostile to an extension of jobless benefits. For example, the prominent conservative Rand Paul states that Unemployment Insurance should be limited to 26 weeks.

A measure to extend benefits for the long-term unemployed needs to pass both the House and Senate to be signed into law.

More than 2 million workers have been hit by the cutoff of Extended Unemployment Compensation. Many are losing their homes, face repossession of their cars and are unable to make utility payments.

Many states continue to have extremely high unemployment rates. California has an 8.3% unemployment rate and in Illinois it is 8.6%. Rhode Island has the highest unemployment rate, coming in at 9.1%.

Boehner and the Koch brothers need to goooooooooooooooooooooo,,,they are the ones holding up te UI BENEFITS from everyone

upset and sad

I agree with many of you about unemployment problem . How would congress act if they where in out shoes. They would sign the bill real quit. I but they didn't have do with out on Easter. Could not buy any candy no money.. No Easter basket explain that... I think that congress to need to address this problem ASAP so people can get back on track. So they can start looking for job. Please sign the bill now.

upset and sad

upset and sad

Angelica wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

Unemployment

Enough is enough!!!! The republicans are commenting on the decrease in applicants for unemployment. Do they really think we're that stupid. The numbers are down because people can't file for any emergency unemployment. The people that are able to file are the ones loosing their jobs. Oh. This obama care is also BS. How the heck can you afford insurance if you don't even have the money to pay your rent, put food on the table, put gas in your car, or better yet make sure you have a car to put gas in.
But yet congress can go on Easter break for 18 days when people can't even enjoy Easter with their own family.
By not having the extension criminal activity will increase. People aren't robbing banks because they can. Their robbing banks because they want to provide for their family. Suicide is also starting to increase due to the financial heartache of not being able to provide. Suicide isn't the answer either. The answer is for Obama to sign the damn bill so we can pick up the prices of our lives and go with it. THATS THE ANSWER.
So let's do this and sign it into Law.

really????

This is crap...republicans in the house lose everythiing you have get off your high horses and pass the damn thing...other countries are not our concern...ppl here deserve this...what is wrong with you??? Ill never vote in your favor again and niether will my family or anyone they know or anyone they know...how can we get ajobs with no income to find them...worry about what's going on right here instead sticking your noses in other countries asses...we matter not them...stop pussy footing around and do your jobs instead of taking 6000 breaks inbetween...try being real for once...and stop acting like a 2 yr.old who can't their way...we need this money...anny up. And cut the shit.

Melinda Wiseman wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

're:the post on this thread

Dear ms prim & proper. When people speak out when their hurting and fighting to just exist, our words may not come out like you would like. You need to take into consideration how we feel. If the government can't get it together they need to get out and find someone who can. As far as the spelling goes you got the point so what does it matter. The problem is people like you that tHink their better then others. This country is hurting and we need some people in office who will fight for the people and what they need. Taking prayer out of schools and the pledge, that's just a start lady. These people in government need to feel our pain. They all need to be replaced and rebuild. Like I said we have outgrown these laws in place and if they can't get it right then they need to be replaced. It's not rocket scientist to see this is not worKing for the work class people who struggle to feed their families. Hint: what you said tells me your one of them. Get a grip.

Cindy wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

The posters on this thread !

Some of you people posting sound so dumb. "Let's dumb the government" "dump Obama" (hey, Obama is all for EUI dummies !), the worst grammar and spelling I've ever seen, full of hate and stupidity. Get your acts together people ! No wonder you all have no job !!

Melinda Wiseman wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

unemployment extension 2014

We have outgrown our government and laws that are in place. I'm 63 yrs old and have worked hard all my life. I have been unemployed since Oct 2013. Dumb the government and rebuild with new people and laws. Let's start over and rekindle our fire. Remember them come November boot them out the door. Let's claim our country and do the right thing.
THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR MONEY AND OUR WAY.
I'M A TEXAN BORN AND RAISED.
MY NAME IS MELINDA WISEMAN AND I ENDORSE THIS MESSAGE.

txsgirl wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

unemployment extension 2014

THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR MONEY AND OUR WAY.
I'M A TEXAN BORN AND RAISED.
MY NAME IS MELINDA WISEMAN AND I ENDORSE THIS MESSAGE.

Melinda Wiseman wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

unemployment extension 2014

THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR MONEY AND OUR WAY.
I'M A TEXAN BORN AND RAISED.
MY NAME IS MELINDA WISEMAN AND I ENDORSE THIS MESSAGE.

I wish there is a way that

I wish there is a way that their income could stop for three months and have all their bill pass due and have no idea how to pay, maybe then the would know how we feel and sign . I cannot find a job, so I am back in school at 44, I have five different trade and can't fine a job in not even one, sad.

James Petrohilos wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

Petition Obama

Considering there are almost 2.5 million people in this situation, why is it that barely 2600 people have signed the petition to Obama? Maybe there needs to be a different strategy for getting the people to sign this thing.

Anonymous wrote 27 weeks 1 hour ago

the house of reps represents

the house of reps represents no one except souless war mongering caviar eating limp wristed pedophilic ivy league rapists

Cindy wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

Quiet down all you angry fools !

Sick of all your cursing and blaming congress. Get proactive and get your friends and family to sign the whitehouse.gov petition. Get moving and start acting like, "The People" you are supposed to be !

Sign the petition to reinstate, all of you.

Single mom of 3 wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

Another vacation!! 10 days

Another vacation!! 10 days until they feed us some more BS! This won't pass till middle of April if at all! John BONEHEAD won't bring it to vote so don't get your hopes up

I know exactly where

I know exactly where McConnell and Boehner can shove that rifle McConnell is toating, you block the vote this time there is going to be 2 million plus of us true americans show up and storm your bldg. Let's start seeing some action or get the hell out of dodge.

fuck them Bustard.

fuck them Bustard.

HOW LONG IS THIS GONNA

HOW LONG IS THIS GONNA TAKE????

Cindy wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

petition

Everybody should sign this petition I will try to post the link, https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/reinstate-extension-federal-un.... Sign it has to be signed by April

Soon to be a homeless Vet

Final eviction notice just arrived. Pay rent up to date or legal eviction procedures to transpire on 04/05/14. PASS THE DAMN BILL

wow

People need this money, they have to of had a job to receive this, so unemployed people must not be that lazy to have gottwn a job in the first place

GanoNow wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

hang in there

They have to be comming to a vote on this bill soon! Until then keep trying and keep looking for opportunities.

Cindy wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

Sign the White House Petition to Extend unemployment !

Let your desires be known. You want to pay your light bill this month don't you, your rent ? Your mortgage ? Get proactive and sign.

We will remember in November

We will remember in November

We will remember in November

#We will remember in November

Pleases pass EUC

Please pass this now.We r all living in poverty.We have worked and not on welfare.We just need help while we get on r feet and look for a job.

Recently unemployed Americans

Recently unemployed Americans have a good chance of being one of us, long term unemployed. All unemployed American's, long and short term, need to connect and and form an organized demonstration at the white house! They are pretending like we don't exist!

Recently unemployed Americans

And you wonder why the

And you wonder why the militia exist?

hard working american wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

unemployment extentions

this is very sad iv worked for 28 years for what i only got 26 weeks of unemployment and 200 calls looking for a job its sad i feel we all lost and it is sad to be an american

my dog is hungry wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

this sucks they keep us

this sucks they keep us holding on an then no action, I don't have no place to live I need that back pay to find a apt, come on,,,,

This is ridiculous they are

This is ridiculous they are sitting on their high horse taking their good ol time while us 2mill. Plus americans are struggling to keep our families afloat...they are inconsiderate assholes who aren't worried bout passing this bill because they are rich and were probably spoiled lil brats growing up

This is ridiculous yhey are

This is ridiculous yhey are sitting on their high horse taking their good ol time while us 2mill. Plus americans are struggling to keep our families afloat...they are inconsiderate assholes who aren't worried bout passing this bill because they are rich and were probably spoiled lil brats growing up

jack wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

Do everyone know this is an

Do everyone know this is an anti American Web site. Communist meets socialist?

Unemployment Extension

These peoples stories are real. Why do the people we put in office show us such disrespect? I have never felt so abandoned. Please help us help ourselves!!!!

Lynch Boehner wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

The Crying Man cares about you!

John Boehner is listening to you, really. On his high end stereo system in his mansion with 5 Mercedes parked in the driveway while he's choking on his 500 dollar lobster dinner and drinking down that 200 dollar bottle of Chianti.

Cruel Beyond Any Measure

A great many people will be forced into the streets for the sake of political gain. I will be one of those people. Can my death be tolerated?

It must be more blacks and

It must be more blacks and Hispanic unemployed and need their unemployments benefits. I believe that's why republican not eagle to extend EUC! Arrogant ass republicans !!! How can they be so cruel and evil.

Kathleen wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

concerned

I have been praying for the extension. I cant pay for my perscriptions. I am 57 and if i die, the gov should be charged with murder!!!!!!

Kathleen wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

concerned

Ole Bull wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

These Benefits are only for people who worked

Don't they get it? These extended benefits are only for people who worked and paid into the system...this is not welfare!!

Sabeuc wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

New party

They screw us every time, they have become so detached from the American people it's time to do something, other countries riot for less, I say let's start a new party, THE APLP the American people liberation party, a party by the people and only for the people.

michael machalinski wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

Please Please Please pass this

Im a single father of 3. My cable, internet and phone have been shut off. The head gasket in my car blew leaving us vehicleless. Our refrigerator is almost bare and i am at the end of my rope.
Please pass this bill.

Ashamed to be an American

The bi-partisan BS in the senate and congress which I mostly blame republicans for is utterly shameful. MIllions of American families and veterans desperately need help now!!! I'm ashamed to be an American.

michael machalinski wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

Im a single father of 3. My

Please pass this bill.

Fred wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

I can't believe I voted

I can't believe I voted republican my whole life- paid taxes ( a lot of taxes) and now when I need unemployment they say screw me- I WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER

This doesn't make any since…

This doesn't make any since… I havent been able to pay any bills within. 2 months… sad

WE THE PEOPLE SAY YOU A-HOLES

WE THE PEOPLE SAY YOU A-HOLES DONT GET PAID TILL UNEMPLOYMENT IS PASSED!!! IF YOUR "FOR THE PEOPLE " PROVE IT!! Your nothing but money hungry heartless LAZY pieces of SH*T!! PASS THIS DAMN BILL NOW!