Tuesday September 30, 2014
| Last update: Monday at 9:43 PM

Senate vote on Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) expected Monday

Socialists demand Congress act now to restore long-term jobless benefits
April 5, 2014

Washington, DC – A vote is expected on legislation to restore Extended Unemployment Compensation this Monday, April 7. The bill, which calls for Congress to bring back unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless, has faced repeated delays from Senate Republicans, but is expected to pass.

The impasse in the Senate was broken when a small group of Republican senators decided to back the effort to restore the benefits.

When the Democratic leadership in Congress failed to insist on the inclusion of Extended Unemployment Compensation in last December’s budget compromise, they in effect gave Republicans veto power over benefits for the unemployed.

After the passage of the jobless bill in the Senate, the legislation needs to pass in the House. Most House Republicans are hostile to measures that assist working people. Many of the Democrats have gone along with cuts to social programs.

More than 2 million workers have lost their benefits since extended unemployment insurance expired at the end of last year.

Steff Yorek, a leader of Freedom Road Socialist Organization (FRSO), states, “The capitalist system is a failed system that is unable to meet people’s needs. It serves the rich and so do many of the Washington, D.C. politicians. It’s time to turn up the heat on Congress.”

Please Sign The Petition to Extend EUC!!

Please go to the following link to Sign the Petition to Extend EUC. We need 10,000 Signatures to force a Vote!

media coverage

Why are we not hearing anything about what congress is doing this week about our unemploymrnt?After waiting three weeks for them to return to "work" a.d not a peep.Once again I have had to borrow money to pay my bills.I have applied for three more jobs this week,and if they are like all the others,I will never hear from them. I am losing hope and so.king deeper and deeper into a black hole!As a 59 year old American born middle class girl, ihave zero respect and no faith in my government.

I am.wondering if "we" were

I am.wondering if "we" were even.discussed today?

Mom48mom wrote 23 weeks 1 day ago

unemployment extension make it a permanent law

Make the 2013 unemployment extension tiered relief act law. Make it permanent like disaster relief. whenever, a state's unemployment percentage hits a tier, the federal government grants relief in an extension of benefits. This will save time and money. Think of how much time , they have wasted discussing this plan. The COb has reviewed the plan and stated it is sound and good for the economy. An economic stimulus at the bottom of the pyramid. Let unemployed people pay for their homes and some of their bills. The politicians are holding the unemployed hostage while they tack on other measures. Job creation programs or public works programs need to be reviewed on a national level. They can look at which roads, bridges, dams need to be replaced and create jobs. However, this needs to be done nationally not just as odd bills tacked on. Isn't this how the bridge to nowhere was built? A measure just tacked onto something else not reviewed. No business nor company would waste this must time rehashing the same issue every year.

Boehner Needs to Extend EUC!

This is an article I came across on FaceBook. Americans are STRUGGLING and now getting ARRESTED because they cannot afford to pay for Child Care while they go to Job Interviews! Way to go Boehner! Maybe Americas Unemployed can put YOU in Prison!

Thank the Senate for Passing UnEmployment Benefit Extension!

Seriously,

What else is there to say to the House Represenatives!
JUST DO IT FOR THE OVER 2 MILLION PEOPLE & NOW
70,000 every week losing extensions!

It's a no BRAINER IF YOU ARE HUMAN,
God is Watching....

Anonymous wrote 25 weeks 34 min ago

when

since bill was passed when will benefit be released to those who have be filing and do work search requirement

H.R. 3979 – EUC Extension Act of 2014

To US House of Representatives

RE: H.R. 3979 – Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014

I like to address some of the concerns of the Republican US House of Representative and House Speaker John Boehner. The National Association of State Workforce Agencies recently sited the below concerns for the implementation of the bill. I like to address their concerns, as they do not pertain to the State of Maryland.

1. Administrative issues and cost associated with the legislation might cause some states not to participate. Issues include: a large number of EUC overpayments created by retroactively paying claim; states not having sufficient time to update their laws to conform with the changes in the bill as many state legislatures have completed their session for the year; and calculating proper EUC tiers.

2. Backdating EUC claims would “make it nearly impossible” to verify claimants were actively seeking work during the specific week, a key factor in determining eligibility.

3. The program changes included: changes to the number of weeks available in each EUC benefit tier; the state unemployment rates required to activate a tier in each state; and a requirement that states provide reemployment and eligibility assessments to most EUC claimants.

The State of Maryland – Division of Unemployment already has these requirements build into the existing system for Unemployment compensation:

1. Extends for five month the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program, which expired on 12/31/13 to 6/1/14.

(Restores the EUC benefits to eligible claimants prior to the expiration on 12/28/13. 2 million claimants lose benefits, whom have an existing or remaining balance of EUC benefits available to them.)

2. Extends funding for reemployment services and for reemployment and eligibility assessment activities. The bill stipulates times when these services should be provided to recipients.

3. Requires the Comptroller General of the United States to conduct a study on the use of work suitability requirement to ensure that benefits are being provided to people who are actively looking for work and truly looking for employment.

In the State of MD, immediately after filing for my EUC benefits on 10/5/13, my weekly were reduced by 20% due to EUC Sequestration Monetary Reduction, which ended on 11/3/13. I received my original weekly benefit amount from 11/9/13 thru 12/28/13.

Eight weeks after the start of receiving the EUC benefit and to continue receiving the EUC benefits, all MD claimants were required to attend the State of MD Job Assessment and Job Verification Seminar.

All claimants had to provide at least 2 suitable job contact information for each week that EUC benefits were provided for a period of 8 weeks. All MD claimants receiving the EUC benefits were also required to have registered with the State of MD Career Development Center prior to the date of the State of MD Job Assessment and Job Verification for claimants receiving EUC benefits.

Also, MD EUC claimants are required to make weekly claims for the remaining weeks that EUC benefits are available and we are provided a confirmation number from the Dept of Labor, Licensing and Regulation – Division of Unemployment Insurance for the filing of weekly benefits.

Please do not allow our representatives to take a two weeks recess before this has been addressed and passed.

Thanks again for the US Senate support and passage of this bill.

euc program

please pass the euc program to continue benefits. my husband lost his job when the plant shut down in 2012. we need this. you can send money to other countries but what the people here in Arkansas. we need this really bad.

derek24 wrote 25 weeks 21 hours ago

unemployment extension

already called your turn make a call it couldn't hurt

John Boehner
Phone: (202) 225-0600
(Press 1 to leave a message or 2 to speak with his assistant)

Extend EUC

It is appalling to me, a 64 year young female who recently was laid off due to downsizing, that the politians who work for us have completely left the unemployed people hanging on a cliff. I am not worried about myself as SS benefits will get me through. But I cannot imagine trying to raise a family, pay for college or even exisit without an income or job prospects!

The House and Congress need to stop spending money on a $400,000 white camel for Paskistan that will probably get blown up by the country we provided it to. Or billions of dollars for the Ukraine and oh yeah, millions in aid to Uganda to educate the country about gays. Seriously , all politians need to get their heads out of their asses and pay attention to the people who vote for them. Not sure what party I will vote for moving forward but it will not be Rublican or Democrats!

Good luck to all of the unemployed people out there!

Extend EUC

Good luck to all of the unemployed people out there!

Has anyone heard any news

Has anyone heard any news regarding our fate? I have heard nothing on the news.I guess unless you are living unemployment,no one cares.

Here is the problem...we live

Here is the problem...we live in a country where we find it perfectly acceptable to pay for the welfare needs of Walmart employees instead of paying 1 cent extra on macaroni and cheese to make sure they have a livable wage. We rarely if ever bitch that our insurance rates and deductibles for health insurance have gone up every year for less and less coverage in order to cover those who are not insured, but as soon as we as a country try to do something about it...well now the same increases and coverage costs are all "Obama's fault". We take care of corporations by calling them people, we can pass to legislation to take care of doctors, increase the spending limits, Farm bills, etc but we leave soldiers and workers to fall off the cliff. I wish I could point at any singular party and place blame, but the truth is they are both tragically awful. Even Obama who has not said a word about the unemployed since the SOTU. I borrowed 20.00 last week to get to an interview. Another one of many in which I havenever heard anything back from despite attemtps to follow up. I borrowed another 200.00 to keep my car for another three weeks in hope of the final break. I have applied for jobs way below my pay grade and have been asked DOZENS of times why would I apply for a job that is entry level? Yet, I am lazy, unmotivated, unwilling to work...you name it. Even so my @Applied inbox shows over 500 applications and rejections. The sad truth is this money will come too late for a lot of us. We will already be evicted, lost cars, no phone, no internet take your pick. I really believe that rather than deal with us they felt that this was some sort of economical culling. Designed to break hope, take us out of the job market or whatever. There is no real incentive here to get us off the government "nipple" as has been extolled by many conservative politicians. No I say it is quite the opposite. Real control comes when you are desperate, and have no hope and have to turn to handouts from the fiefdom for survival...scraps from the castle as it were.

No belief in the government

Kevin, I read your comment about starting a small business. I know it doesn't help but I'm in the same boat. I was laid off in March 2013 by a CEO of a financial company that is on Obama's Economic Advisory Board. He has sent over 400 America jobs to India and is still committed to outsourcing while he remains on our president's advisory board. This is the fourth job I've lost to outsourcing, corporate buyouts, mergers and downsizing in twenty years. After sending out numerous applications and going to interviews I wasn't offered any positions so I decided to open my own business. I was almost over the hump when the unemployment benefits were pulled. So instead of having a viable business that would have supported me for the rest of my life, I've had to hustle to find part time jobs that barely pay anything. This is taken almost all the time I was spending getting a business going. I find both parties a disgrace. I found to have been sold out by the democrats, and have the unemployment plug pulled in the middle of winter and two days after Christmas for an easy budget agreement, especially cruel. I find the republicans useless as they have offered no job alternatives other then the Keystone pipeline that is only estimated to create a drop in the bucket of 4000 jobs. I've given up on both parties as they seem to care more about spending trillions rescuing corrupt banks and throwing money at phony wars. I haven't mentioned the horrendous unemployment rate for America's youth. I also find it sad that so many talented people have lost their jobs: teachers, nurses, machinists, managers, etc. These are people that invested in their careers and had a viable job and were sold out for a cheap buck. I'm voting for the American's Citizen Party this next election.

Unemployment Extension

PHONE JAM BOEHNER
3 million cut off with 75,000 added weekly.

We were in wars for 14 years and we can help our own people through a recession???

Contact John Boehner's office until the phones are unplugged:
John Boehner says the re-implementation will be "difficult"? Is that really the attitude you want to have towards long-term unemployed seeking jobs? Its "difficult" so give up?
#SETEXAMPLE

John Boehner
Phone: (202) 225-0600
(Press 1 to leave a message or 2 to speak with his assistant)

Contact as many GOP House members as possibly and explain your situation. Under Bush they extended long-term unemployment and the unemployment rate was (lower) at the time of many of those extensions.

SPREAD THE WORD AND GET THIS OUT

Kevin wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

What Emergency Unemployment does

I lost my job last July. I started going back to school full time and became part of a bootstrap start-up company. I believe in this company. It is going to take time for things to take off, but when it does I'll see far more benefits than if I took some menial job that I hate. I'm an entrepreneur. I'm taking a risk.

I'm doing this right now with NO MONEY. I've been doing it for 3 1/2 months with absolutely no income. Before being laid off in July, I had been a full time employee for 14 years. Emergency Unemployment is for people like me who have paid into the system for years and are now doing what we can to get ahead. We're tired of working for less than we're worth doing jobs that we hate. We're tired of being taken advantage of by employers. We're tired of seeing yachts and summer homes written off as anything but luxuries.

My company fails if I don't start getting some kind of income in the next few weeks. I'm working 16 hour days trying to make this happen, so don't tell me I'm lazy. Pass this bill and maybe you'll find yourselves employed by me in the next few months. Don't tell me you're subsidizing laziness when you're giving people like me and my partners a chance to do something great for ourselves and others.

help the unemployed

I am a 59 year old single woman.I lost my job through no fault of my own in August 2013.I have applied for hundreds of jobs,taken classes and applied for menial positions.I have had no success in obtaining employment.I am too young for social security.and too.old it seems to be hired.I am appauled that Edd.suggests welfare. I will no longer be able to pay my bills,fuel my car or put food on the table if unemployment isn't restored.I know that I am just one fish in a bug pond of many.Shame on our government turning thier backs on thier own citizens in a time if hardship.

Lisa W. wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

Please Pass This Bill

I hope the Republicans realize that in order for them to be voted into Office next term, they will need to help out the Millions of jobless Americans NOW! I'm appalled that they let this EUC Issue drag on for so long. Maybe the Rich & Heartless Senate members in Washington will be on Unemployment after the Next Election. Hopefully the Bone Heads will realize how hard it is to survive as well as find a decent job!!

Pass the extension.

I am 59 year old woman, who has been working in management positions for the last 35 years I lost my job back in January 2013 due to no fault of my own. Lost my extended benefits, cannot pay my bills, have to file for bankruptcy. I am a registered republican and will never ever vote that party again. The one comment that was made by one of our wonderful senators, was that unemployed people are lazy. Let him walk a mile in my shoes. I have applied to over 100 positions since losing my job. Unfortunately, its the young and not the old that are marketable. Wish this government would help us as they help the world. We have so many problems in this country and seem to go unnoticed.

Its time to take care of us.

listen up you singletons! I think I know everything! not really.

This is my first comment ever regarding pressing subjects. Here we go.

I pursued a construction career the following week I returned home from my H.S grad trip 07'. Im 24 and unemployed as of July 13'. Before i became unemployed I was Republican because my parents are in the higher tax bracket. I admit I received a taste of my medicine. (I simply didn't think democratic arguments were legit becuase I couldt personally gain anything with them in office. I was wrong. *Typical uninformed American*, sad I know) im no longer uninformed because I've done research now more than ever, politics, news, etc. (they all are nuts) I know now that most Republican simply are donkeys and love making everything difficult regarding NON SUBJECTIVE issues. I know there are people who are in much more stressful situations than myself. I can ADMIT it. Most cant. Some unemployed are taking advantage of the system, some are being true to themselves and job applying daily and I'm one of them trying to find a career. But I will not settle. (No disrespect, but settling for Burger King isn't my thing. If that floats your boat and you keep a positive attitude I love you. That's awesome) I'd rather mow lawns for cash on this side.

Last week I needed to sell my diesel truck that I loved because i need to pay my cell phone bill, budgeting for months ahead of me. I don't think asking my parents who can and would help me is beneficial. Do people ever think what if they lost that someone who could help them? I'd be the first to tell my generation and wiser persons do not get yourself in debt. #SIMPLE ECONOMICS my girlfriend used some of her school loan money to buy a expensive dog. Her situation, that's a stupid idea and I was the first to remind her.

I'm here to ask where has everyone's motivation gone? I blame parents, and I hope my generation can use this stressful and negativity and flip into a positive. I have conservative ways because I was military raised, naturally not my fault. But we need to suspend fantasy land and accept reality. People posting sad comments are discouraging. I want equality for all. Today's CEOs are making wayyyyyy too much cheese. Greed is good, as long as it can be controlled.

On last thing if no one believes in global warming your an idiot. Nobody wants to fail. My answer to everyone's question how can we change? Obviously you are who you hang out with, let's teach our youth how to be a better person. That to me is SUCCESS. Laughter is healthy for your body and soul. Let get it!

Approval of emergency unemployment benefits by Congress

I would like for all congressional members to understand how it feels to loose your job and in addition loose your unemployment benefits. I have worked all my life and lost my job a year ago. Although I have completed and filed over 1,500 applications within a year, I have been unable to find employment My wife and I are going through financial difficulties. Is it so hard for congresspersons who earn over $100,000 per year to understand the situation that over 2 million Americans are in? I challenge them to place themselves in our shoes and understand our hardship.

All the republicans care about is repealing Obamacare, absolutely nothing else matters. it's like trying to fix a hole in a canoe that's about to go over Niagara Falls. Just plain dumb.

How do you contact John

How do you contact John Boehner? I will never vote Republican as long as I live. What he is doing to us is absolutely disgusting.

Doug C. wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

I have over 30 years paid into unemployment insurance and lost my job due to no fault of my own. I have had only one interview but not a lot of jobs to apply for. I do so daily when available. I need the EUC or loose my house and go on another government lifeline that is not being used as a political tool. I am Republican who will vote Democrat if not passed this month.

Euc benefits

I am unemployed and have worked just about every day of my adult starting in high school what these jack legs do not realize is company's are selectively hiring young workers no matter the skill set they have a big Fortune 500 company in my area has expanded their facility's and has been hiring you want to know what my self and others that applied and were interviewed was told because we are over 30 years old. That we were considered untrainable , no matter that we were way over qualified for the positions it's because of our age this French based company doesn't want quailified people they want 25 year olds that won't be ready for retirement 10 , 15. Years. That's all it is and pay them a lower wage

I call John Boehner's office

I call John Boehner's office every day. I suggest you do the same.

I used to vote Republican, but how can I now?

His staff have encouraged me not to, in part claiming this is a Senate issue and not a House issue. The reality is that this is an everyday American issue. We have granted him tremendous power, and with that comes tremendous responsibility - for all Americans. Currently, I think he, and the Republicans as a whole are impotent in the face of their wealthy constituents, and extreme fringe factions such as the tea party. No one in America cares about their ideological fight. We care about paying our bills and living in peace. When the system blows up, it requires additional support the same as the banks, Wall St., the automotive companies, etc.

The Republicans claim they Democrats are using this as a popular issue for elections. We live in a Democracy, and as far as I understand it, the popular voice of the people is what's important. We can afford it. It is the right thing to do.

I am unemployed and I have exhausted all possible alternatives. I need the extended unemployment benefits that I qualify for. I have a college degree and I have improved my skills expanding in new disciplines in order to round out my skill set.

Simply put, the jobs I used to apply for, before becoming unemployed, do not exist any longer. Those that suggest doing "any" job miss the fact that is is not an option. I send my resume out several hundred times