Tuesday October 21, 2014
| Last update: Sunday at 9:58 PM

Reports say Senate to vote on Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) this week

February 2, 2014

Washington, DC – According to widespread reports here, Feb. 2, the Senate is close to an agreement that would allow a vote on Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) the week starting Feb. 3.

Bloomberg news quotes Senate Majority leader Harry Reid as saying, “I hope we have something on the floor next week.” Insiders report that a vote is close, with Democrats and some Republicans nearing agreement on a funding source for the jobless benefit extension.

To date, about 1.6 million job seekers have lost or been denied extended benefits. The number grows every day that congress fails to act.

The seeds for this disastrous cut to the unemployed were planted in December of last year, when Democrats failed to insist that the funds for Extended Unemployment Compensation were included in the budget deal. Congressional Republicans are generally hostile to any assistance for the unemployed.

A bipartisan consensus exists in Washington D.C. that federal spending must be cut and that social programs that serve working and low-income people need to be put on the chopping block. Recently unemployment insurance, food stamps and rental assistance have been targeted by politicians who favor austerity.

Mary Thompson wrote 32 weeks 20 hours ago

EUC benefits

I am 67,get $900.00 a month SS, still need to work to keep my home,and lost my job. Help!

unemployed old lady wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

Have we been forgotten?

Or are they just going to ignore this and hope everyone will just give up?When are they going to revisit ETC!?!?!!

I now live under a highway!!!

I now live under a highway!!! Am I looking for work yes!! I hate this congress!! I hope they all rot in hell!!

@billy u r wack....who r u to

@billy u r wack....who r u to say something, u don't know what a person was done so ,..shut the ----- up!!

I need this help to be able

I need this help to be able to survive til i can get a job please sign it mr obama

feb..24?

Feb 24 says Senate returns then? Does that mean its at least till then? Confused

euc

Guess it's time to go camp on their front lawns. Running out of things to sell.

Anonymous4 wrote 36 weeks 17 hours ago

everyone who's waiting on euc there having a petition

Petition signatures are needed if you guys want a vote to be placed soon don't sit there and mooping and crooping sign at http://wh.gov/lNW0p

EUC :-(

Update February 7, 2014: Legislation to renew expired Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) was voted down in the Senate yesterday. Majority Leader Harry Reid voted "no" so the legislation can be voted on again in the future. He said that the Democrats would continue pushing to extend the benefits. There is no date set yet for another vote. However, Democrats are saying soon.
:-(

Come on Mr. Pres. Get that

Come on Mr. Pres. Get that pen a writing!

not surprised

"Latest bid to restore euc benefits blocked by republicans." Can't say I'm surprised. Best of luck to everyone out there who are struggling.

SHANNON wrote 36 weeks 4 days ago

2014 EUC Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania represents hard working people....................................... EXTEND 2014 EUC. VOTE. DEMOCRAT.

I think billy is cool. Tell

I think billy is cool. Tell me where you live so we can hang out !

billy flack

Hey billy your just the kind of hater we love to hate. Maybe next year you can assist me exercising me second amendment rights and come go deer hunting with me.

Aggravated! wrote 36 weeks 5 days ago

Why is this taking so long?

I can't wrap my head around why voting on this has taken an entire month!

get to work!

Right back at ya, billy. You obviously have plenty of time to fuck around online. Shut up an get to work!

You are very close minded

You are very close minded Billy. I'm not mad or annoyed at your comments, I just feel sorry for you.

billy flack wrote 36 weeks 5 days ago

sorry guys

Every comment you post could be an online application filled out and submitted!!!!!!!! All of you say please please ill be homeless yet your online is paid? N dont say yourat the library, cuz if you are you should be at work

FREE FOOD

LET'S EAT BILLY!

free food

Let's eat billy.

Wow Billy you are the

Wow Billy you are the definition of ignorance is bliss, good luck with that.

Chevy wrote 36 weeks 6 days ago

@ Mr. Billy Sack I mean flack

If it was that easy to just get up and get a job, you wouldn't need unemployment now would you? You calling people lazy you sound ridiculous. We all earned unemployment!

billy flack wrote 36 weeks 6 days ago

Billy is not lazy

Im just sayin enough is enough we all have had 6 weeks. Instead of job searching your all just hawking google praying its back on. Lmao . You all could find jobs but chose not to. Now you dont eat haha

cry no more, billy is here

Everything is OK. Billy says get a job! Wisdom for our sorry asses, finally! Thanks Billy

billy flack wrote 36 weeks 6 days ago

stop crying

Im on euc, if they turn it back on wohoo if not I refuse to loose everything just sitting around. after your euc runs out then what? Beg welfair n church funds to cover your sorry behinds. Stop making excuses get a job! Or post on backpage lol

All republicans should stop

All republicans should stop working and see if these parasites can live without a host.

Let's FIRE ALL REPUBLICANS!!!! See how they like being UNEMPLOYED!!!! VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!

Please help my kids

Please help my kids

Lets call the news stations today!!!

Lets call the news stations... And ask, why is this not news to them!!! We need their help to get the word out. We need help and we need it now!!!

itscalledterrorism wrote 36 weeks 6 days ago

itscalledterrorismhowelsewouldyoudefineit!

Its worked for other countries and leaders to bring the citizens to thier knees unemployed now be subservient to the wims of your ruling government.

all you people that voted

all you people that voted Republican and love bush now you don't eat. Don't cry go out and hunt and don't forget who you voted for and his father. For all of you that said lets go to war now you don't eat, for all of you the wanted to change the world now it's changed and you don't eat.

Fuzzy dunlop wrote 36 weeks 6 days ago

these republicans have to

these republicans have to know that they are getting voted out when elections come up, right?? these guys are crooks

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 1 min ago

help

NEVER VOTE REPUBLICAN AGAIN

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 5 min ago

The republicans don't care

The republicans don't care how much you've worked hard or even if you have a ph.d they just value their families and their self!

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 37 min ago

I would like to thank the talking heads on capitol hill for losing 24 billion dollars during the government shutdown in October. With an annual price tag of 26 billion, emergency unemployment benefits could have been payed for.

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 1 hour ago

vote em all out

Four kids between me and my gf who works at mcdonalds and another one due in 4 days and havnt had a check in 5 weeks. We need to purge these idiots in washington. Every last one of them. Vote em out.

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 1 hour ago

media

To all media and msnbc stop talking about NJ Governer Christie and start talking about Emergency Unemployment Insurance for more than one million Americans.I dont care about NJ Governer Christie,he's not putting food on our dining tables!

Anonymous wrote 37 weeks 1 hour ago

Broke!!

Please come to a decision already!! I am 6 months pregnant can't pay my bills I have nothing! We are supposed to be the greatest country start acting like it and stop letting the American people down!

I am going to be homeless by

I am going to be homeless by the 10th noone else cares that the euc is taking so long thanks Mr. President!

Former Republican wrote 37 weeks 2 hours ago

Unemployment

I will never vote republican again because of this delay in the extension. I will
vote democrat from now on.

vote republicans out

Republicans has clearly shown how they feel about us.
lets show them how we feel in November

Anxious wrote 37 weeks 6 hours ago

Groceries

Wow..to go from $62,000 a year to unemployment then to broke and stealing groceries,!!! Who would have imagined this for an MBA Grad..I'm pissed off too. Reinstate unemployment NOW...

republican help us im 46 i

republican help us im 46 i been working since i was 13 this my first time out of work im not lazy as yall keep saying about us american who help vote you in

republican help us im 46 i

Sheena Bond wrote 37 weeks 8 hours ago

Unemployment Extension

Please come to a decision very soon all of my bills are behind and some things have been disconnected.

Mark S wrote 37 weeks 8 hours ago

Unemployment

Don't rely on congress sign the petition so Obama will use his executive order here is the link we need 100,000 signatures pass it along advertise it any way you can here it is: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/renew-unemployment-insurance-i...

This is a mandatory step if you don't trust congress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark S wrote 37 weeks 8 hours ago

Unemployment

This is a mandatory step if you don't trust congress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha Vasquez wrote 37 weeks 10 hours ago

Please extend this bill. I

Please extend this bill. I have an interview with a job next week, but if I don't get it I would need this EUC to get from behind my bills =( . Please help us!

Homeless soon!! wrote 37 weeks 11 hours ago

Vote Already

While they are holed up in their swanky pads that us taxpayers help with...some of us are merely hoping to find a hole to crawl in because we can't pay for a place to stay!!

Revolution People Get Rid Of

Revolution People Get Rid Of all Those Who Dont Vote it Back In This is The Worse Goverment Ever Whata Friggin Joke What ?? WE THE PEOPLE HA WE THE POLITIANS THAT R ASSHOLES GO TO HELL

inspectorrandoness