Tuesday September 2, 2014
| Last update: Saturday at 11:55 PM

Senate moves forward on Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits

January 8, 2014

Washington, DC – In a 60-37 vote, the Senate passed a procedural measure Jan. 7 that allows a bill to restore Extended Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits to move forward.

The cut to extended unemployment benefits impacted about 1.3 million people. Congress failed to renew the EUC benefits as its session was winding up in December of last year. Republicans largely opposed the benefits and Democrats were unwilling to go to bat for the unemployed, insisting an extension to benefits be a condition of the budget agreement.

The fight to restore the Extended Unemployment Compensation benefits is facing an uphill battle in Congress.

The benefits began during the Bush administration, as the economic crisis was unfolding. One result of that economic crisis is the persistent high rate of unemployment, which has become a long-term part of the U.S. economic landscape. Illinois, for example, has an unemployment rate of 8.9%.

Is this the new USA? Pours

Is this the new USA? Pours billions of dollars in those terrorist infested countries and gives their own people the shaft! You are the terrorists!

EUC Farce !

Roses are red,
violets are blue.
Some of us starve,
while our "Reps" spew their poo...!

No they have not been

No they have not been reinstated and coming from someone who served their country this is absolutley ridiculous!!!!

I was born in America.
Why do I feel like I just got off
Of a boat. Do I not count?
Stop turning your backs on hard
Working Americans.

DUH

It seems mighty strange that those who do not want to extend unemployment benefits were willing to cost the government $24 billion dollars to shut down the government for 17 days.

The House needs a roll call vote to identify those who need to join the unemployed to learn first hand how it feels not to have a job. VOTE 2014

Kenneth Wofford wrote 32 weeks 4 days ago

E.U.C.

We're all familiar with the Looney Tunes cartoon of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck: "It's wabbit season!" "No, it's duck season!"
WHEN IS IT CONGRESS SEASON?!?!?!

we are being held hostage by

we are being held hostage by the right ... and the dems are refusing to take real action

euc

Am a single mom of 2. I lost my job of 10yrs. I have trying to get a job. Do you think I wanna be on unemployment benefits. What the hell. Now I my lose my home........

Kenneth Wofford wrote 33 weeks 1 day ago

Congress and EUC

We are no longer citizens of the United States. We are now SUBECTS of the Empire of the United States.

Andydandy wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

EUC benefits extentioin

All you need to do is remember what " Republican" means come election time.

No. The vote on EUC still has

No. The vote on EUC still has to be voted on in the House. Based on his statements, the President is likely to approve an extension bill if it passes the House.

This is a cruel world. How

This is a cruel world. How could u end benefits for people that are looking for jobs. Do u think I wanna be on unemployment benefits. My income tripled this unemployment.

I am 64, lost my 32 year job, paid taxes for 48 years and now my government is abandoning me when I need some help. What country is this??????????

LETS FAIL TO PAY LEGISLATIVE SALARIES FOR CONGRESSIONAL MORONS

As long as congress gets all the perks which the voters aren't entitled to gives them NO INCENTIVE to fix the economic MESS that THEY got this country into!

keeping food out of my sons

keeping food out of my sons mouth! This is ridiculous how you toy with American lives and think there wont be consequences? Do you realize how embarrassing this is to even be on unemployment? Wish I even had a chance to find a decent job

I'm an out of work coal

I'm an out of work coal miner,I wouldn't be on unemployment if it weren't for this administration!!!!

WHAT A FCKED UP COUNTRY ! wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

when is the deadline for euc benefits extention ????

when is the deadline for euc benefits extention ????

WHAT A FUCKED UP COUNTRY ! wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

SO WHEN IS THE ACTUAL DEADLINE FOR EUC BENEFITS EXTENSION ???

THESE TEA PARTY FUCKERS HAS NO HEART. THEY NEED TO STOP FUCKING AROUND AND EXTEND THE EUC BENEFITS ALREADY.

No I talked to unemployment

No I talked to unemployment rep today. They have not yet been restored and they are not sure if they will be.

Euc

Have congress make minimum wage!

WWJD

EUC Benefits

Simple fix for the budget, drop both lame ass parties!!!
And now we have billions left to play with, hmm think of the possibilities...
Now let them go on unemployment and we'll F with their money!!!!

DEANO wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

Fat cat republicans cutting off EUC benefits, they should be ashamed of themselves....
Cut spending... to pay for EUC benefits, shutting down congress!!!!! That cost tax payers billions, they weren't worried about saving money.

euc

What it means is they will always bail out big bussiness .r a common man u r screwed .be you a soldier or a citizen ,it would be nice if congress had some common sense

EUC Benefits

So what exactly does this mean? Has EUC benefits been reinstated now?

inspectorrandoness